Saturday, November 3, 2012

666 Park Avenue



I love Terry O'Quinn and Vanessa Williams from their previous ABC shows, so I was excited to watch 666 Park Avenue. It's relatively entertaining and luckily for my nerves, not as scary as American Horror Show (although I'm apparently one of the few people to like the new season of that show). Anyway, I noticed somewhat recently that the series was based on a book. I thought it might be like Rosemary's Baby, which I love, so when I found it for sale on amazon for $1.99 (the price has since gone up), I bought it.

This was another one I read during the Hurricane Sandy induced black out of lower Manhattan, although it was more interesting. It's nothing like the show at all, which is about devilish things happening in a giant apartment building. The only similarity to the book is the name and occupation of the main character, Jane Boyle, who is an architect. In the novel, Jane is a 24 year old architect who lives in Paris. She is swept off her feet by the wealthy and handsome Malcolm Doran (also the last name of Terry O'Quinn's character in the show). After her grandmother dies, she goes back to NYC with Malcolm to meet his family, who live in a NYC mansion (I'm guessing a large brownstone?) on the Upper East Side.

Jane quickly figures out that she is a witch (before she leaves France) and learns that she is marrying into another family of witches, who seem to have a sinister plan for her, especially her mother-in-law, Lynne. Jane has to learn how to cope with her soon to be in-laws and her own developing magical abilities. It's a cute book, that I learned has one sequel out now and another on the way. I'm not a huge chick lit reader but I think I've mentioned before that sometimes I just want to read something light and breezy. This fit the bill and I'm sure I'll read the rest of the series eventually.

Online, someone described this as Gossip Girl with a darker edge. Sure, I'll buy that. Like Gossip Girl, it was entertaining and an easy read. Just don't expect it to be anything like the show!

Buy it at amazon and Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment